[MacDV] Burning DL disc help

Brett Conlon brett_conlon at sonymusic.com.au
Mon May 2 00:54:19 PDT 2005

Hi all,

Can I get a little help?

I created my first $10 dual layer disc drink coaster yesterday - ouch!

I received my new LaCie dual layer burner but as I said in a previous post
the CD's I have played in it sounded like they were skipping. DVD's played
fine in the drive so I guessed that the burning capability may be OK. As I
was desperate for drive space I thought I'd take the plunge and try my
first dual layer disc.

The term "Haste makes waste" took on a greater meaning for me!

My project is in DVDSPro2 and I was not able to burn directly from in
there. DVDSP recognised the drive but kept asking for DVD-R discs and spat
out my dual layer disc when I tried inserting it. I even ran LaCie's
DiscRecording 1.18 installer and it still made no difference. In the
Installer Read Me file it states:

"The LaCie DiscRecording.pkg installer will add LaCie drive support (see
below) to burning applications that use the DiscRecording framework. This
includes but is not limited to, the Finder, iTunes, iPhoto, Backup, Disk
Utility and DVD Studio Pro."

... but perhaps not DVDSPro v2???

So I resorted to "formatting" to a 7.5GB .img file on my work drive.

This is where I may have gone wrong. I launched Disk Utility and set up to
burn the image file. Disc Utility was happy to receive the dual layer disc
and spent 40 mins burning then finishing the disc - all seemed to be going
AOK.

However I watched as it moved to "Verifying..." and after a few seconds it
stopped and said it had failed. The disc was definitely burned to by the
look of the underside. It won't load in either my 17" or our home DVD
player.

Not knowing if it was the "faulty" drive or my wrong techniques I was too
scared to make a twin $10 coaster and thought I'd ask here first. I do
have Toast Lite... this is probably the better way to go, right?

Your help is most appreciated!!!

Regards,

Cojcolds