[MacDV] QT Pro (New Key for 7)

Alex alex at fotomotion.net
Thu May 5 11:08:22 PDT 2005

No need to snap guys...
The Yes had a question mark after it for a reason. It was a question
Of course video programs on the mac use the underlying structure of
Quicktime, not the Quicktime player
I was pointing out that full screen playback in the player is possible
without going pro, and showing how to do it!
Not berating or placating anyone!!!!!

The underlying structure of Quicktime is not wholly linked into whether
you go pro or not
in the knowledgebase artice at:
Apple states

If a third-party application program uses QuickTime, its functionality
is not necessarily limited to that of basic QuickTime.

I have never been able to gat a straight answer from Apple as to how
deep into the architecture of quicktime the pro activation goes
I have FCP running fine on 10.4 with Quicktime 7 Standard and on 10.3
with Quicktime Pro
Both systems have the same import / export codec's and without QTP
FCP's abilities do not appear to be lessened

Certainly the Quicktime player is vastly enhanced by going pro, this is
not the case with FCP though
Does anyone on the list know if the pro activation is necessary for
other apps as well?
And does it actually open up features in anything but the Quicktime
player?

Alex