[MacDV] MS video codec

Mark M.Florida markf at squareblue.com
Mon May 9 12:34:35 PDT 2005

Back to the original question:

AVI and QuickTime are just "wrappers" for the actual media.  If you
export your file as a DV stream (a ".dv" file), both Windows Mediocre
Player and QuickTime should be able to open it.

You can also export it as an AVI file using the DV codec (from your
editing app or using QuickTime Pro)  -- that's what it sounds like
they're asking for.  It's not "uncompressed" since it uses the DV codec
(but they sound like boneheads anyway), but just say it's
"uncompressed" even though you know it's not, and be on your way.

Last resort -- put it on a DV tape and let them re-import it from that.

Make sure you clear them up as far as the DV format goes -- it's not a
"Microsoft DV" file -- it's a video file using the DV codec in a
Windows-friendly AVI wrapper (but I'm sure that will go way over their
heads -- I can see the blank stares you'll get if you try to explain
that -- Windoze slaves aren't that smart).

2 cents.

- Mark