[MacDV] Do data DVD discs work?

Brett Conlon brett_conlon at sonymusic.com.au
Wed May 11 18:17:29 PDT 2005

Hi all,

Is the DVD disc similar to the Audio CD in that it has a special format in
order to work in DVD players or can you just burn a data disc with a
VIDEO_TS folder and it'll work?

I've sorta answered my own question but I'm not sure if it just worked for
me in my specific situation...

I wanted to make a backup of my daughter's Hi-5 DVD but all the Apple
utilities kept denying me as they are copy protected discs.

In the end I used MacTheRipper to create the region-free, de-macrovision'd
folder to my hard drive. I then used Toast to create a data disc and
burned it to a DVD-RW disc. To my surprise it played in my home dvd
player. DVD-RW discs play in this player but often skip, which my test
disc continually did. I then burned a -R disc and it plays perfectly.

Was I just lucky or should this work normally with most everyone?

Ta,

Coj