[MacDV] How does one increase quality of final encoding?

Brett Conlon brett_conlon at sonymusic.com.au
Thu May 12 00:13:49 PDT 2005

Thanks for responding Mark. 8-}

So to clarify, would I get a different (ie. better) result if I encoded:

VBR (min:8/ max:8)
Dual pass
Motion:Best

...compared wit:

 CBR:8?

Does it spend more time cleaning up the images or setting the motion
properly under VBR compared with CBR? I thought the motion setting was
just to help DVDSPro determine whether the user wants it to use a higher
bitrate at these times depending on what min/max rates were set.

If it is technically the same then from a "time" point of view I'm better
off using CBR 8 - when I have the disc space of course.

I believe 9mbps is getting too high for some players to cope with. Does
anyone encode with 9 or higher?

Ta,

Coj

"Mark M. Florida" <markf at squareblue.com>

All you gotta do to increase your final quality is use the 2-pass VBR
encoding option with a high bitrate (7-8 Mbps) using the highest quality
setting for motion (forget what it's called specifically).

Depending on how fast your machine is, this may or not be worth the
extra encoding time.  On my dual 2.5 G5 at work, the quality difference
is usually not worth the wait...  But that's just me...  ;-)

- Mark