[MacDV] Recommendations for analog to digital

SLarsonIH at aol.com SLarsonIH at aol.com
Sat May 14 20:23:38 PDT 2005

Hi All,

I have the machine (MDD Dual), the software and am ready to get the hardware
to convert my tapes, etc. to DVD. The local store has both the Pinnacle and
Pyro units in stock. So, before I buy anything, I wanted to tap into the
collective wisdom of you on this list. Here's what I'd like: I'd like an external
converter that goes both ways with most of the common ports. I'd also like to be
able to watch and record stuff off my cable system. I'm guessing that may
require two different purchases. I'd like it to be Firewire based. Of course, the
option of being bus powered would be a nice addition. Mostly, I'd like your
recommendations and suggestions regarding the units you've used.

A while ago, I had looked at the unit from Formac, but have heard a number of
negative reports, so I'm hesitant. I've read reviews of the DAC, Sony,
Canopus and one other that I can't remember, but i wanted to get your input before
buying. So, if any of you have had good or bad experiences with any of the
converters, please speak up.

Thanks
STeve