[MacDV] Burning a DVD via a disc image...

Nick Scalise nickscalise at mac.com
Wed May 18 07:41:52 PDT 2005

On Wednesday, May 18, 2005, at 09:24AM, Brian Olesky <brian4 at sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>On 5/18/05 12:07 AM, "Brett Conlon" <brett_conlon at sonymusic.com.au> wrote:
>
>> But if the disc image is nothing more than what is on the DVD then you can
>> save even more space by not keeping the disc image and re-creating one off
>> your final burned disc/s if/when you want to burn additional copies.
>>
>> Holding onto a disc image of each of your projects could very fast fill
>> one's valuable work space unnecessarily.
>>
>> Am I off the mark???
>
>Sorry for being so dense, everybody, but I still don't get the answer to my
>original question--why make a disc image in the first place? You have your
>project, you burn a DVD, you put your project away (in your internal drive,
>external drive, or burned to a DVD), and it's waiting there for you next
>time you want to burn another disc. What's the purpose of taking the extra
>step of making a disc image?

I have iDVD set to "delete rendered files on closing a project" in the preferences. So, if I were to re-open the project to burn another DVD, I would have to wait for everything to be re-encoded.

Secondly, if I have a disk image, I can open it with DVD player for final testing before burning to DVD.

Lastly, if I have lots of duplicate DVD's to burn, I can use Toast and tell the app that I want to burn X amount of DVD's and Toast will count for me and all I have to do is feed it disks.

Ain't computers great? Everybody can have their own workflow.

--
Nick Scalise
nickscalise at mac.com