[MacDV] New miniDV tapes versus used

Brett Conlon brett_conlon at sonymusic.com.au
Tue May 24 22:30:43 PDT 2005

Any tape use over time degrades its performance - just playing or
re-recording over the top - but it usually takes a long time or a lot of
use to see this. I can't speak specifically for MiniDV tapes but I know
with my Panasonic camcorder, when I've not been pleased with bits I shot
I've recorded over the top of them. So far I've not seen a hint of
degradation in quality or any parts of the old footage.

Perhaps Rich needs to clean the heads on his camcorder?

Yes, the tapes are cheap but having to unnecessarily purchase more coz you
can't re-use unwanted used ones seems "unfortunate" to me.  8-}

Coj

Christopher Zayachkowski <macminialacool at mac.com>

Brett,

Doesn't recording over previously recorded miniDV tapes degrade the image
over time? I thought it did and if so a bad idea I think. Here in Canada
you can get 60 minute Fuji miniDV tapes for $7.00 a piece! That's a
deal...

Chris