[MacDV] New miniDV tapes versus used

rgb at ellerbach.com rgb at ellerbach.com
Wed May 25 05:45:42 PDT 2005

On Wed, May 25, 2005 1:30 am, Brett Conlon said:
> Any tape use over time degrades its performance - just playing or
> re-recording over the top - but it usually takes a long time or a lot of
> use to see this. I can't speak specifically for MiniDV tapes but I know
> with my Panasonic camcorder, when I've not been pleased with bits I shot
> I've recorded over the top of them. So far I've not seen a hint of
> degradation in quality or any parts of the old footage.
>
> Perhaps Rich needs to clean the heads on his camcorder?

Been there, tried that... but it (not getting a fully "clean" record)
doesn't appear to correlate with head cleaning. I'm perfectly willing to
believe that my camera is running under spec. with respect to the energy
of the recording heads but I never have a problem with new tapes, just
small sections of previously recorded ones (these are all Panasonic
DMV60EJ tapes).

> Yes, the tapes are cheap but having to unnecessarily purchase more coz you
> can't re-use unwanted used ones seems "unfortunate" to me.  8-}

Yep, a real pain in the you-know-what :-) Hence my request for good bulk
eraser. There seem to be some really expensive ones around for
professional studios that erase all manner of media but the availability
of smaller (less expensive) units seem to be thin to non-existant. Art
suggested a big-honkin' magnet but I think the tape also needs to be moved
from spool-to-spool while on the magnet so the field actually gets at all
of the tape surface. Just sitting a tightly wound tape on top of a magnet
just randomizes the edges of the tape.

Rich