[MacDV] erasing miniDV tapes

Michael Winter winter at mac.com
Thu May 26 06:29:56 PDT 2005

On May 26, 2005, at 12:04 AM, frank fitzpatrick wrote:
> Somebody mentioned cleaning your heads. Good idea, too.

And make sure you clean the erase head too!

I'm assuming miniDV recorders are like VHS recorders where there's an
erase head in the path before the record/playback head(s). When
recording that's what is supposed to erase the tape before it is
recorded.

That's also why the very beginning of the tape never re-records very
well. When fully rewound, there's a little bit of tape between the
erase and record heads that never passes in front of the erase head.
Its also an issue when you stop a tape and start recording in the
middle. That first couple seconds doesn't pass the erase head before
its recorded over.

If the problem is occurring in throughout your recordings, I'd be
suspicious of the erase head. Either its dirty or just not working.

-Mike