[MacDV] Would like workflow suggestions for backup of DV footage

Ehrhart, Robert Robert.Ehrhart at per-se.com
Fri May 27 07:42:23 PDT 2005

Hey there

After receiving a new PowerBook with Panther loaded and an external drive, I've recently begun to experiment with iMovie and dv in general. I'm wondering what any of you might suggest as far as management of the considerably large files that are being generated on my drives! I'm currently waiting on a digital camcorder I recently ordered, and have been digitizing my older analog tapes. Seems like burning all my raw footage to 4.7 (4.2) Gb DVDs is taking a lot of time, but I'm a bit obsessive about not missing something that I might need later. So, my questions:

1) Is there another better, faster, larger-capacity medium onto which I could be backing up?

2) Do you keep an archive of raw (completely uncut) dv files, as well as a rough cut?

3) How do you like to record / catalog the resulting clips? Is there any specialty software on the market to keep a database of clips?

Mostly I'd just like to see how others are doing it.

Thanks

Robert