[MacDV] Would like workflow suggestions for backup of DV footage

Michael Winter winter at mac.com
Fri May 27 10:45:21 PDT 2005

On May 27, 2005, at 9:42 AM, Ehrhart, Robert wrote:

> 1) Is there another better, faster, larger-capacity medium onto which
> I could be backing up?

There are now dual-layer burners available that put 8.5 GB on a disk. I
don't know how much those blank disks cost though (internal drives are
now <$70).

> 2) Do you keep an archive of raw (completely uncut) dv files, as well
> as a rough cut?

It all depends on how valuable the footage is to me. First birthday?
Keep the raw  DV. Just another birthday party? Pitch the DV stuff or
save just a couple short takes if something "memorable" happens.

> 3) How do you like to record / catalog the resulting clips? Is there
> any specialty software on the market to keep a database of clips?

For personal stuff, its shoebox type storage with no cataloging -just
write a few descriptors on the disk. I'm sure the professionals on the
list who have a lot more to track have better suggestions (when they're
done shaking their heads sadly at my wayward methods).

-Mike