[MacDV] Re: VHS (ultimately) to DVD)--MacDV Digest, Vol 10, Issue 43

Ted Langdell ted at tedlangdell.com
Fri May 27 15:37:26 PDT 2005

Ted Langdell
Marysville, CA
Main:  	(530) 741-1212

Why bother with the multiple steps and lengthy rendering involved in
your workflow below.

Just buy a direct to DVD recorder (with or without a hard drive) and
make it a simple process.

With the hard drive, you can capture entire tapes in one pass, then
divide the segments into different files and delete the portions you
don't want.

Create a playlist of the segments you want to transfer to a particular
DVD, push a button and it begins the transfer. In real-time. No
rendering.

When the data's burned to the DVD, just one more step to close the DVD
and you've got something playable in your set top DVD player... without
the extended rendering time and sometime coaster-burning experience
that will drive you nuts.

Especially if you have quite a few tapes you want to transfer.

Check stores for closeouts, customer returns and special deals. You
might be able to pick one up for $500. Test first.  Brand new New DVD
only recorders (no hard drive) are going at many places for under $300.

Ted.