[MacDV] Recording TV to Mac w/ AlchemyTV DVR & EyeTV 200 & 500

Kunga Kunga at FutureMedia.org
Sat May 28 09:06:08 PDT 2005

OK Let's get some URLs going here. You guys are leaving way too vague
hard drive and what speed of what processor. PLEASE. Let's be of some
help here.

I am working on a comparative review of TV recording on the Mac. So
this topic is mainly on the top of my mind lately.

AlchemyTV DVR by Miglia of Great Britton, PCI-PCI-X Card analog ONLY
solution:

< http://www.miglia.com/products/video/alchemytvdvr/> AlchemyTV DVR
$159 list

Don't have my review unit yet.

EyeTV 200 Analog $329 list

<http://www.elgato.com/index.php?file=products_eyetv200>

and 500 Digital $349 list

<http://www.elgato.com/index.php?file=products_eyetv500>

External FireWire Tuner Solutions:

<http://www.elgato.com/>

I have been working with the EyeTV systems for the past month or so
on both a Dual 2 GHz G5 and on a 500 MHz Cube. The results are mixed.

Dual 2 GHz G5, 3 GB RAM, 700 GB HD space inside (3x233), Tiger
10.4.1, QuickTime 7 Pro.

Cube .5 GHz G4, 1.5 GB RAM, 128 GB HD space Inside (1x160 = net 128
usable), 250 GB outside, Panther 10.3.9, Quicktime 7 Pro.

First, If you have off air or cable HD available the 500 is the way
to go. It captures stunning High Definition TV to your Mac as
efficiently as half a GB an hour.

Second if you have only analog video sources the 200 is the way to
go. And it also doubles as an analog transcoder to native DV on the
hard drive.

I started with the G5 and wound up fixing the 200 on my Cube. .5 GHz
G4 is the minimum processor speed this system will work on. But it
does work fine at that speed.

What is amazing to me is how the hardware interfaces with amazing
software to make it as easy to program as a Tivo. El Gato has figured
out how to program shows from the Titan TV website. I all fairness, I
have not yet received my review copy of AlchemyTV but it also uses a
Titan TV interface of some sort. Perhaps Ron Michael will elaborate
for us on how it works.

<http://partners.titantv.com/TTV/Grid/Grid.aspx>

Everyone here who watches TV at all should be subscribed to Titan TV
(free) and using it daily to figure out what is on IN DEPTH. This
site is better than TV guide - way more detail about every show on
including long lists of the performers names, show titles and story
summaries. This thing is a miracle.

And El Gato has just now release a new Tiger compatible version 1.8
of their amazing EyeTV software which you can download and run
without their hardware just to get an idea of how the interface
works. I cannot stress enough how important I think this development is

<http://www.elgato.com/index.php?file=support_updates_eyetv>

You can also download the manuals and study the details of how this
works.

<http://www.elgato.com/index.php?file=support_documentation>

My main problem has been that the system sometimes does not wake on
time from sleep to record and it never returns to sleep after
recording. I must manually sleep it after any recording is completed
if I want to save energy and rest my Cube. However, as the Cube has
no fan and I have been running it non-stop for years without sleep,
this is not a fatal flaw. Moreover, while I can use EyeTV on a Cube,
no way can I use AlchemyTV with it. Big mac with a fan seems to be
Alchemy's minimum requirement. EyeTV will work with a Mac mini and
any other Mac with a FireWire port and minimum .5 GHz G4.

More to follow.