[MacDV] Commercial VHS copying

Nick Scalise nickscalise at mac.com
Sat May 28 17:04:33 PDT 2005

On May 28, 2005, at 2:09 PM, tmeyer at lps.org wrote:

> I have been reading with interest some of the discourse dealing
> with transfering analog VHS and the sort digitally to the Mac. As
> there have been a number of different units said to be quite
> acceptable, I am wondering about a certain aspect. I will be
> transfering some of my VHS tapes that I have recorded but I also
> have a large number of tapes legally purchased for my use that are
> surely in the stages of deterioration that will inevitably be final
> in years to come. Can any of the units mentioned previously copy my
> commercial VHS tapes that were purchased and might have a copy
> protection built in?

The Canopus ADVC-100 will defeat Macrovision.  I don't think any of
the others do, that was one other reason I got the Canopus unit over
others.

However, I do not know if the ADVC-110 will or not. It seems that
Canopus has discontinued the 100 and is now only selling the 110.

If you are looking for the specific capability of defeating
Macrovision, you either need to ask Canopus about their 110 or find a
100 from resellers that still have them in stock. I'm betting that
Canopus probably does not want to advertise that their unit defeats
Macrovision, so they may not be willing to say. Yet, I bet most all
Pro equipment defeats Macrovision.

Good luck,