[MacDV] Recording TV to Mac

Mark M. Florida markf at squareblue.com
Tue May 31 08:29:04 PDT 2005

> Now please don't mistake my passion for insult. That is not my
> intention. I'm just very excited about this stuff I have only  recently
> discovered myself. OK? No harm intended.

Take it from a guy who has been playing with DivX/XviD/3ivX/ETC for a
long time...  These formats have splintered the MPEG-4 standard
irreparably, and bring along with them their own incompabilities.  They
are just as proprietary as Windows Media, and have playback problems
with QuickTime Player even when all of the supposed plug-ins are
installed.  Your best hope to play just about any video format these
days is VLC -- and VLC can even convert these to MPEG-1, MPEG-2, MPEG-4
(*REAL* MPEG-4) and probably more!

As far as TV playback of these formats, what's wrong with a regular old
MPEG-2 DVD?  If the discs are only $.15, then why do you need to cram
more content onto them?  And what if you want to give the disc to
someone else to watch on their TV, *THEY'LL* need a DivX DVD player as
well...  So much for standards...  :-(

Anyway...  In my opinion, DivX is over-rated and if you really want to
"get with the times" then scrap DivX and start using H.264, man!  :-P

- Mark