[MacDV] In FCP -- Moving entire projects from one drive to another...

Frank Fitzpatrick ffitzpatrick at cox.net
Mon Nov 21 10:10:39 PST 2005

The Media Manager in FCP 4.5 is reportedly unreliable, so don't use it
to trim the fat off your clips; I don't know about version 5.

Copy all files maintaining the heirarchical structure of their folders
to avoid having to reconnect media. Without trimming with the Media
Manager you have to copy all source stills, movies, audio files, and
render files (unless you don't mind rerendering), and of course, your
FCP project file. I've learned lately to keep all source files,
including stills in the same folder (Doh!) to make it easier to backup.
(Even with using the Media Manager, you still have to copy everything,
but the files are smaller.)

I'm not sure if this is too simplistic, and if you wanted something to
simplify the process.

Frank Fitzpatrick