[MacDV] New G5 dies, mac servicing, photos altered, web design warning

animal animal at cuug.ab.ca
Mon Oct 3 14:57:25 PDT 2005

We love Macs, will continue to use Macs, but everyone we've owned have
needed some kind of servicing.  G5 3 weeks, Emac 3 months (+ 2 more
times, G4 12 months, Quadra 18 months (+ 2 more times, Performa 8
months (+ 3 more times).  Maybe we just use them a lot more than
others??   Plus, though polite, it took several phone calls to the
Apple Tech line to diagnose the G5's freezing up problem.  Finally
found someone who suggested a hardware test (on the install disk)
Hopefully we'll remember this if there's a next time.

Just a heads up.

Our new G5 (2.3MHz) OS 10.4, Photoshop CS/ImageReady 8  lasted 3 weeks
before the processor and or logic board went.  So back to using a
700MHz Emac with OS 10.39  Photoshop CS/Imageready 8.  Photos prepared
on the G5, open on the Emac - but when we try to use them in ImageReady
and export as a gif, the following warning appears:

Some names of the files being saved contain non-Latin characters.
These file names will be incompatible with some Web browsers and
servers.

I've tried changing the names, copying the photos to new files and the
error still comes up.  Test photos prepared on the Emac do not do this.
  As it will be 2-3 weeks before the G5 is fixed, this is really
inconvenient!

Lynn

The Upcoming Action Thriller "Search Dog's Raven" (SearchDogsRaven.com)
Tells the Eerie Story of a Wilderness Search Dog Team known as 'Lost
Raven'.

...Any search can turn deadly, as a young woman and her wilderness
search dog are lured down a dangerous trail...