[MacDV] Re: Macs dying and needing service--MacDV Digest, Vol15, Issue 2

Nick Scalise nickscalise at cox.net
Tue Oct 4 09:11:56 PDT 2005

<macdv at listserver.themacintoshguy.com>
> Subject: Re: [MacDV] Re: Macs dying and needing service--MacDV Digest,
> 	Vol15, Issue 2
>
> On 10/4/05, at 11:41 AM, Nick Scalise, <nickscalise at cox.net> said:
>
> >I have heard this before too, about not connecting surge protectors to
> a UPS. Does anyone have any further information on this?
>
> 5 or 6 years ago, I called APC because my UPS was no longer functioning.
> One of the questions they asked me was if I had connected their UPS to a
> surge protector. I had, but they still honored the warranty. As I
> recall, they claimed that the surge protector interferes with the UPS
> being able to sense changes and damages the UPS.

OK, so as I understand your reply, the bad thing is plugging a UPS into a
surge protector? That is, the UPS should be plugged directly into the wall
outlet?

Is the reverse also bad, plugging a surge protector into a UPS?

I was googling the reverse question (connecting a surge protector to a ups)
and didn't get much. So now I just googled 'connectig a ups to a surge
protector' and got this:

<http://www.powerware.com/FAQManager/afmviewfaq.asp?faqid=844>
Q: Can I connect the UPS into a surge protector or should it be connected
directly to the wall outlet?

A: We recommend that you do not plug your UPS into a surge protector. You
can plug a surge protector into the outlets of the ups to use as extra outlets.

While not a definitive explanation, I guess I am OK with my setup.