[MacDV] Re: Macs dying and needing service--MacDV Digest, Vol15, Issue 2

rgb at ellerbach.com rgb at ellerbach.com
Tue Oct 4 09:15:57 PDT 2005

On Tue, October 4, 2005 12:11 pm, Nick Scalise said:
>> From: "T.L. Miller" <tlmiller at mac.com>
>> Date: 2005/10/04 Tue AM 11:51:19 EDT
>> To: "A place to discuss digital video on Macintosh."
> <macdv at listserver.themacintoshguy.com>
>> Subject: Re: [MacDV] Re: Macs dying and needing service--MacDV Digest,
>> 	Vol15, Issue 2
>>
>> On 10/4/05, at 11:41 AM, Nick Scalise, <nickscalise at cox.net> said:
>>
>> >I have heard this before too, about not connecting surge protectors to
>> a UPS. Does anyone have any further information on this?
>>
>> 5 or 6 years ago, I called APC because my UPS was no longer functioning.
>> One of the questions they asked me was if I had connected their UPS to a
>> surge protector. I had, but they still honored the warranty. As I
>> recall, they claimed that the surge protector interferes with the UPS
>> being able to sense changes and damages the UPS.
>
> OK, so as I understand your reply, the bad thing is plugging a UPS into a
> surge protector? That is, the UPS should be plugged directly into the wall
> outlet?
>
> Is the reverse also bad, plugging a surge protector into a UPS?
>
> I was googling the reverse question (connecting a surge protector to a
> ups)
> and didn't get much. So now I just googled 'connectig a ups to a surge
> protector' and got this:
>
> <http://www.powerware.com/FAQManager/afmviewfaq.asp?faqid=844>
> Q: Can I connect the UPS into a surge protector or should it be connected
> directly to the wall outlet?
>
> A: We recommend that you do not plug your UPS into a surge protector. You
> can plug a surge protector into the outlets of the ups to use as extra
> outlets.
>
> While not a definitive explanation, I guess I am OK with my setup.

Here is the information from APC's FAQlist:

Surge protectors filter the power for surges and offer EMI/RFI filtering
but do not efficiently distribute the power, meaning that some equipment
may be deprived of the necessary amperage it requires to run properly –
causing your attached equipment (computer, monitor, etc) to shutdown or
reboot. If you need to supply additional receptacles on the output of your
UPS, we recommend using Power Distribution Units (PDU's). PDUs evenly
distribute the amperage among the outlets, while the UPS will filter the
power and provide surge protection. PDU’s use and distribute the available
amperage more efficiently, allowing your equipment to receive the best
available power to maintain operation.

Rich