[MacDV] New G5 dies, mac servicing, photos altered, web design

animal animal at cuug.ab.ca
Tue Oct 4 15:49:28 PDT 2005

Re Usage patterns may be another factor -starting up the computer,
using it for a short period, shutting down.... Basically starting up
and shutting down the
computer every time its used.

With the last two Macs (G5 that died in 3 weeks and the Emac) I do have
the energy saver turned on so that the computer shuts itself down if
unused for more than 15 minutes and this does happen 2-5 times a day.
Should I not be doing this?  Is this going to shorten the life of the
computer??

Re: Has Apple replaced your G5 yet?

In Canada, they don't replace they just repair and that's when they get
to it and how long it takes to get parts across the border.  Thanks for
mentioning the home service.  I lugged the SOB down to the Mac dealer
as no one told me about home service!!!

Re I would seriously check out my electrical supply circuits if I were
you and install a UPS.  re: Good idea to check the power supplies and
make sure you aren't running too hot.

The Macs in question and any attached hard drives have been used in
many different places and always with top of the line surge protectors
with voltage filters.  So electrical shouldn't be an issue.  The surge
protectors aren't a APC or Belkin though, with Mac software and I don't
know about AVR.  We have some other computerized equipment that we use
with no similar problems.  They have never been on the same circuit as
any kitchen appliances.

Re: There's only 2 local mac service places.  Because they are very
busy, (up to a week just to get the Mac looked at) establishing a
relationship with repair is not easy.  The Performa died some time ago
and the Quadra is no longer used.

Lynn

The Upcoming Action Thriller "Search Dog's Raven" (SearchDogsRaven.com)
Tells the Eerie Story of a Wilderness Search Dog Team known as 'Lost
Raven'.

...Any search can turn deadly, as a young woman and her wilderness
search dog are lured down a dangerous trail...