[MacDV] Re: UPS and surge protectors

derek at unm.edu derek at unm.edu
Tue Oct 4 11:45:00 PDT 2005

>> Is a UPS the same as a surge protector?
>
> No, and they shouldn't be connected together. My understanding is that a
> UPS also serves as a surge protector.

Interesting.  I was not aware of this issue.  I own several APC brand UPS
systems of various sizes, and the specs for surge suppression are lousy.
For that reason, for the past 12 years or more, I have plugged a decent
surge protector into the wall outlet, and plugged my UPS into that surge
protector.  I have also frequently plugged another (cheap) surge protector
into the UPS, just to have more outlets.

I have not had problems, but maybe I have just been lucky.  I have had my
computers survive voltage spikes which fried other computers in the same
building.  In any case, my experience is just one data point (or 5, if you
will grant me separate entries for each UPS).  The explanation quoted from
the APC FAQ seems like bogus marketing tactics to me.  My surge protectors
are rated at 1875 Watts.  This represents the same amperage rating that is
available for both halves of the duplex wall outlet _combined_.  APC's
assertion seems to be that the surge protector can't deliver the rated
amperage, or that some outlets in it get more amps than others.  I'm not
too worried about the first problem, because the surge protectors are UL
tested and rated, and I am never close to their rated capacity.  The second
issue seems unlikely to me, but I realize that I plug _only_ the UPS into
the first surge protector.  Therefore, my UPS gets all the current that the
surge protector delivers.

Still, I am not a big believer in a single person's experience nor
"logical" speculation, as a way of making prudent choices.  There may still
be a good reason for not plugging surge protectors into a UPS, or vice
versa.  I'd ike to hear more.

Derek Roff