[MacDV] Compressor Issue

Alex alex at fotomotion.net
Thu Oct 6 07:32:45 PDT 2005

Hi Colt

This error with compressor is tied in to upgrading compressor and how
it interacts with Qmaster.
I also battled with this problem a while a go, and finally got it
sorted out after many chats with Apple.
The solution that I detail below is ONLY for OSX 10.3.x
If you try to use this under 10.4.x you will kill your Mac and keep
getting a kernel panic on start up,
you will have to go into the disk from another Mac and correct the
files placement if you do this on 10.4.x.

This is not a issue as I have not had this problem since going to
10.4 and using compressor 2

so try this and it will fix your problem, worked every time for me,
after system rebuilds etc..

1. Quit all open applications
  2. In the Finder Menu Bar > Go > Go to Folder...
  3. Type "/etc"
  4. locate the file named "hostconfig"
  6. Command-drag the file to the desktop
  7. You will be asked to authenticate as the admin user - do so
  8. The file is now on your desktop
  9. Keep the /etc Finder window open
  9. Rename the hostconfig file on your desktop to hostconfig.old
  10. Command-drag the file back to the /etc folder
  11. You will be asked to authenticate as the admin user - do so
  12. Restart the computer and zap the p-ram twice on restart [command
+opt+P+R]

if you have to do this at any time in the future due to a rebuild
then include the following

  4a Locate the file named "hostconfig.old" (this was the file that
was created the first time I did this)
  4b Drag the "hostconfig.old" file to the trash and reboot
  4c On reboot locate the file named "hostconfig"

Alex