[MacDV] mini DV Cameras

Preston Boardrider at aaaHawk.com
Mon Oct 24 10:03:49 PDT 2005

Single chip consumer cameras have become real real cheap. Both in
price and quality in my opinion. My old Digital8 puts out better
images than many of the new single chip cameras.  There IS a
difference in the consumer camera world as far as image quality is
concerned. But don't look at the bells and whistles on the different
models to decide, rather look at what models make a jump in the
imaging chip (CCD) SIZE and resolution.

The CCDs keep getting smaller and resolutions keep getting larger.
And the images don't really  seem to be improving much in my opinion.

I've seen tests that show single chip cameras beating 3 chip cameras
in low light. So equating more chips with better low light capability
is not true based on that fact alone.

If anyone could speak to the size & quality of CCDs and their
resulting output that would be helpful.
Best
-Preston