[MacDV] dvd copies?

Alex alex at fotomotion.net
Thu Oct 27 01:52:17 PDT 2005

Don

Be aware that not all duplicators are created equal, nor are all
duplication methods.
If you can get a good reference then it is the best way, this list is
a good place.
If you can let us know roughly where you are perhaps someone can help
locally?

For the number of DVD's you are looking at, the duplicator could go
down two duplication routes
Burn the discs or Press the discs.
Burnt DVD's are just like the ones that come from your Mac but done
on a larger scale.
These DVD's are good in about 90% of players, on a run of several
hundred you can be sure you will get a few grumbles.
We always put a disclaimer on burnt DVD's and we still get customers
that have a go at us for some discs not playing.
Still this will tend to be the cheaper option at the volumes you are
talking about.
The pressed option is just like a commercial DVD that you buy in a shop.
It will play in anything giving you no grumbling customers, it is
however a more expensive process.

Also check on the format that the duplicator wants from you, some
older houses will not accept a standard DVD-R.
They will want an authoring DVD. This is less so these days, but a
good thing to check to save any misunderstandings.

Hope this helps

Alex