[MacDV] Re: Final Cut Pro 4.5 & QT7 compatibility question

Kunga Kunga at FutureMedia.org
Sat Sep 17 16:47:48 PDT 2005

It is more likely that the problem is with existing projects and the
upgrades rather than QT 7 alone. This is only a guess. I imagine if
you start a new project with QT 7 and FCP 4.5 in Panther it will work
fine. I am only imagining things.

I am using FCP 4.5 with QT 6.5.2 and Panther 10.3.9 to get 3ivx two
pass encodes for the web to work properly. So I can relate to your
consternation. With Tiger and QT 7 the 3ivx two pass encode yields
huge file sizes. The moving target of OS changes and developer
followings is always frustrating isn't it? 3ivx says that because of
Core Video and QT 7 changes they don't know when they will get the
two pass encode working right. So I just set up an old system and QT
as my work around - have Tiger and 7 (required in Tiger) of course.

Still looking for a non H.264 alternate encode I can use in Tiger and
QT 7 for webcast level quality that won't collapse when you zoom in
or blow up the 320 x 240 image. I've resorted to one frame per second
for some of my longer pieces. Not sure the fast start works in the
Panther QT 6.5.2 two pass encode. So I may wind up giving up on this
way soon.

BTW you all see the new Canon XL H1 HDV Camcorder for $8,999 in
November? Boy that is one sweet machine. Canon glass. Oh yeah...
--
Taylor Barcroft
New Media Publisher, Editor, Video Journalist, Webcaster, Futurecaster