[MacDV] security (non-booting Mac)

Shirley Kehr shirleykat at cox.net
Tue Sep 27 17:14:08 PDT 2005

Here's something I just found in a Smalldog newsletter. Worth a try.

Shirley

On several different occasions over the past few years, we would
have a customer come to us with their iMac telling us that it was
dead.  We would look like miracle workers when we took off the
bottom plate and push on the PMU button to reset the logic board,
and than plug in their iMac to see it come back to life.
Usually, each time we did this we would take a small permanent
maker and draw a circle around the "hidden" PMU button so that
the next time that the customer had an issue (if they ever did)
they could repeat the process just as we did.  Usually the cause
of this type of failure was a sudden loss of power either from a
power outage or by someone unplugging the computer, or turning
off the surge protector for the computer.

In looking over the recent changes that Apple made to their
Knowledge Base this week, I see that they have an updated Tech
article on what we described above. The main point of interest is
that they now have pictures on how to find that hidden PMU
button. This would be an excellent article to print out if you
have this type of computer and if nothing else, find the picture
of where your PMU button is located and keep it handy in case you
ever need it.  To get the full scoop on the article go to:

This may save you a trip to the repair shop!