[MacDV] Exporting avi from iMovie

Dennis R. Cohen drcohen at mac.com
Wed Sep 28 19:59:18 PDT 2005

On 9/28/05 at 2:57 PM, Richard Gilmore <rgilmor at uwo.ca> transmitted the
following electronic message:

>Glad to know I'm not alone but this isn't helping me much. We've got a
>M$ developers license here so the IT guys are married to Windows. I'll
>try exporting the DV stream or try and find some other way of doing
>this. I wish they hadn't lost the original tapes which just compounds
>the problem. If it would just export a large AVI file I'd be happy.
>

>On 28/9/05 12:27 PM, "Mark M.Florida" <markf at squareblue.com> wrote:
>
>> Yet another sad tale of the dreaded "PC ignorance".  PC people
>> ignorant (and not willing to learn) what other options are out
>> there.
>>
>> Any modern video app should be able to handle a DV Stream file (.dv
>> file extension) with no problem.  If it can't then the problem isn't
>> with the file, but with the encoding app (read: it's time to use a
>> different "modern" app).
>>
>> On a side note -- Windows Media is THE ABSOLUTE WORST streaming
>> media format available.  Horrible quality, memory and CPU hog.  The
>> reason people use it is because MS offers a complete package for
>> authoring and streaming this crap so all you have to do is use THEIR
>> software and click a little button and everything's great, right?
>> Monopolies suck.
>>
>> - Mark
>>
>> On Sep 28, 2005, at 10:43 AM, James Asherman wrote:
>>
>>> This AVI thing is a problem in which you are not alone.

What sort of an AVI are you trying to create? If it is a DivX or xvid, I
would encourage you to use ffmpegX (DivX or xvid) or even Toast 7 (DivX
encoder) to create your AVI file. I've generated files larger than 4GB
with each of them, but I don't know what size limit, if any, they might
have.

--
Dennis R. Cohen