[MacDV] Re: Exporting avi from iMovie

Mark M.Florida markf at squareblue.com
Thu Sep 29 07:47:07 PDT 2005

MPEG Streamclip will not work because the input file is not MPEG.

You could, theoretically, use an MPEG-4 file as your "in-between" file,
as long as the image size was set to 640x480 and the bit rate was high
enough to yield a good picture (probably 2 Mb or higher).

The downsides to this approach:

1. VERY LENGTHY export times (even on a G5 iMac) as compared to just
spitting the DV video out into an AVI "wrapper".

2. Lossy compression -- even at high bit rates, it won't look as good
as your DV source.

3. May not be compatible with the system ingesting and converting the
video for the streaming server.

Can you just BEG AND BEG AND BEG (maybe offer to take him/her/them to
dinner) and see if they installed QuickTime on the machine that handles
the streaming conversion if it would work with a DV ".dv" (stream) or
".mov" (QuickTime) file.  Then they should be able to take any .mov
file and import it into their Windows Mediocre Streaming "Solution"
System.  :-P

- Mark