[MacDV] VCR to DVD Strategy

Dennis Fazio dfz at mac.com
Tue Apr 11 09:49:25 PDT 2006

On Apr 10, 2006, at 10:31 PM, TM Buffalo wrote:

> i am thinking of buying a canopus. about 250 with tax. are they worth
> it?  How do they work  - just hook up the vcr to the canpous and then
> hook up the canopus to your mac?

Yes. The VCR connects to the Canopus via regular RCA video/audio
cables. The Canopus connects to your Mac via Firewire (audio and
video). It's supposed to be the best solution for quality and the
model I have will disable Macrovision if you want to extract a scene
or two from commercial tapes to use in your video. I think the newer
ones are firewire bus powered.

If you have a digital video camera, you can use that to pass through
the VCR signal to your Mac.

If you just want to make a straight copy of VCRs without any editing,
one of the new VCR to DVD copy machines might be the most economical
and easiest-to-operate choice.

--
Dennis Fazio
dfz at mac.com