[MacDV] VCR to DVD Strategy

Robert Rothgery rfrothgery at earthlink.net
Tue Apr 11 10:02:29 PDT 2006

Don't be so sure about Canopus being able to disable Macrovision.  I
use Final Cut Pro and a Sony DSR-20 Deck as a media convertor for DVDs.
  I have encountered Macrovision on a DVD I was legitimately attempting
to duplicate.  The DSR-20 saw the Macrovision as evidenced by the
recorder's assigned monitor.  However, Final Cut did not see
Macrovision at all and made a clean recording.  However, when I tried
to make a new DVD the burner would not complete the task and an attempt
to record onto a DVCAM tape resulted in a recorder shut off just 7
seconds into the recording.

Apparently later manufactured DV and DVD equipment senses Macrovision
and shuts down the recording.  I was able to archive my DVD by putting
it on SVHS by way of an old Panasonic AG-1980.