[MacDV] Photos lighten when processed by iDVD

Russell Banks banks.russell at gmail.com
Sat Aug 26 07:59:06 PDT 2006

Does anyone have an idea why my photos lighten considerably in iDVD? Here's
what I'm doing:

   1. I create good-looking photos in Photoshop, and save to highest
   quality jpegs, about 1500 px wide.
   2. I place those jpegs in Photo to Movie, add music, and apply some
   gentle pans and zooms to a few of the shots.
   3. I export from Photo to Movie as DV (NTSC): DV/DVCPRO - NTSC,
   720x480, 29.97 fps, Uncompressed.
   4. This makes a 2.5 GB file for a 13 minute movie. When I play it in
   Quicktime player, it looks very much like the originals in Photoshop.
   5. I start an iDVD project, place this DV file into it, and burn a
   DVD.
   6. Everywhere I play this DVD: in Mac DVD player, on my wife's Dell
   laptop, and on several TV set-top players, the images are much too light.
   Highlights burned out, and shadows a muddy gray.

It seems clear that iDVD is lightening the images, but I don't know why. I'm
pushing my old G4 to the limit, (1 GHz, 640MB RAM, old video card), and it
takes a long time to process the video, but I wouldn't think that it would
lighten the images due to a lack of resources.

Any ideas what I should do?

Thanks

Russell