[MacDV] Re: Slideshow DVD Pricing--MacDV Digest, Vol 19, Issue 3

Ted Langdell ted at tedlangdell.com
Mon Feb 6 21:23:44 PST 2006

Ted Langdell
Marysville, CA
Main:  	(530) 741-1212

Glad the info was of some help.

While Gerhard's comments are well taken, I think it's appropriate and
necessary for some education to take place, beginning with the
economics of mass reproduction of Hollywood DVD's.

One needs to explain the process thoroughly to the other friend...
perhaps incorporating some analogy to what they may do for a living.

If the other person's a doctor, you might say, "It's not quite as
intense or life-threatening as taking out a gall bladder, but it does
involve a lot of time and skill.  I don't need nurses and an OR... and
I'd be happy to do this for you, but here's what were going to need to
do (run down my list) and here's how much time it will take."

The other friend will say "Gee, I had no idea." and you can say, "I'm
glad that you recognize that. This is what I need financially to make
this happen for you."

If you feel comfortable doing so, spread the cost over several months,
so that the person who wants the favor from you can feel more
comfortable with paying something close to what it really costs.

I've found that customer education, letting them decide what they want
to do, (how elaborate or time consuming the production becomes) and
then making it possible for them to afford it usually results in me
doing the job they really want at the price I need to charge.

RE: Beale AFB...

You'd see a lot of changes on the base and to the surrounding area.

Beale was a great asset during the Jan., 1997 flood. Were you here for
Christmas of '55?

Or, when they shot the B-52 oriented movie with Rock Hudson at Beale or
was that later.  I can't recall the year.

Once the home of the SR-71 spyplane, it is still hq of the U-2 reconn
operations, and is the new home of the unmanned Global Hawk recon
platform.

Yuba City is now home to more than 50K people. Back when you were here
it might have been 7-8K.  Marysville's topped out around 12.5K
people... maybe a few thousand more than in the mid 50's... since its
surrounded by levees that keep the water out in wet and wooly times!

Small world.

Ted.