[MacDV] Most suitable Intel equipped Mac to buy?

tucker ian carlian at picknowl.com.au
Fri Feb 17 15:10:44 PST 2006

A friend and I use Adobe CS2 and Final Cut Pro quite a lot.   He is
using an earlier, desk-lamp type G4 iMac and I am using a 933 Power
PC G4.  We both have FCP Studio (Universal) on order and are
intending to upgrade to new Intel equipped Macs.   Money restraints
prevent both of us from going crazy and buying "the top of the
range", but as serious hobbyists we are prepared to shell out enough
money to get  models that will see us fairly well covered for our
purposes.

I already have a 20" Cinema LCD screen and tend to lean towards a
"tower" again due to expandibility and  yet with the arrival of large
capacity external HD's this factor appears not to be as big a factor
as it used to be.   The new Intel equipped iMac with 20" screen
appears to maybe fill our requirements (we both already have large
external HD's) and the portability of the iMac , particularly for my
friend, is an attractive feature.

We would appreciate other Listers opinions on whether we wait for the
new tower/desktop models to arrive, or whether we settle for top
model iMacs.

TIA,
Ian Tucker