[MacDV] Why is "MPEG-2 Playback Component" needed?

Nick Scalise nickscalise at cox.net
Wed Jan 18 12:35:25 PST 2006

> From: Aaron <macuser at aarons.fastmail.fm>
>
> I keep on coming across references to the "MPEG-2 Playback Component"
and to the necessity to buy it from Apple to be able to do various things with
MPEG-2 files even in non-Apple programs.

> Is Apple's product the only thing that can do what it does?

It is if you want QuickTime to handle it. However, there may be third party
MPEG2 Components available.

> If so, is it because it's too difficult to replicate the functionality or is there
some kind of legal obstacle to doing so?

Most likely license fees to MPEGLA <http://mpegla.com/>

> What is the exact name and location of the component when installed?

I don't have the exact name but it is located in /Library/QuickTime and it's
name is very close to 'QuickTime MPEG2.component'

> I have old versions of both DVD Studio Pro (1.5) and FCP (3.0), but I can't
locate the installers right now. If I can find them, would they have the
component?

Probably, but it also may be for an older version of QuickTime. However, it
may be upgradeable for no charge.

HTH.

--
Nick Scalise