[MacDV] Mac Book Pro vs. G4

Robert & Susan Lloyd lloyds at vermontel.net
Thu Jul 20 11:25:35 PDT 2006

I have been making videos using a G4 dual tower 1.67GHz, FCE HD, with
several external firewire hard drives, an external vcr and a TV
monitor.  It has 256 KB L2 cache (per cpu), 2 MB L3 cache (per cpu), 1
GB memory, a bus speed of 133 MHz. One internal ATA drive of 74.53 GB,
an internal Maxtor drive of 189.92 GB.  Three external firewire drives,
two at 500 GB and one at 112 GB.  This all seems to work fine at the
moment.  There are two firewire ports, two USB ports.

BUT I am off the grid, using solar power, and the power consumption of
this setup is significant, requiring me to run the backup generator
frequently -- long term wear on the propane generator and the system
batteries.  I live in Vermont, so solar power year round is limited.

I am wondering whether shifting to a 17" Mac Book Pro might save me
considerable power on the computer (not the external drives).  The spec
sheets suggest a maximum power consumption of 4.6 amps at 18.5 volts dc,
which looks like 85 watts to me.   In contrast, the G4 line input is
listed as 8 amps at 120 volts ac, which looks like 960 watts (can this
be true? I can't believe it uses all that power!), with the ADC monitor
out put of 25 volts dc at 4 amps = 100 watts.

Setting aside the cost for the moment, my main question is whether the
17" Mac Book Pro will adequately fill my video editing needs without
glitches.  Compoared to the G4 Dual, the CPU is faster (2.16 GHz), the
internal Hard Drive is smaller (100 GB vs.  260 GB).  Or can I get away
with the 5400 rpm, 120 GB hard drive?  It can support 2 GB memory, 2GB
L2 storage, and some other good things.  If I make the switch from G4 to
Mac Book, will I regret it?

TIA.

BobLL