[MacDV] external drive in FCE

ptm at temple.edu ptm at temple.edu
Thu Mar 9 09:15:07 PST 2006

I have what is probably an elementary question but I can't
seem to figure it out so here goes...I just got a La Cie 160GB
external drive for my eMac.  I'd like to capture my digital
video to this drive using FCE 2.0 but when I select "system
preferences" from the file menu and select the La Cie drive
rather than the HD and try to capture I get a dialogue box
that indicates "allocating disk space" and this never goes
away until I force quit from FCE.

My question is, can anyone help me to set this up so my
digital video is captured onto the external drive properly.  I
can't figure out what I'm doing wrong?  I have the VTR OK and
the multicolored capture screen ready, it's just when I hit
play and capture now that capture preview screen that lets you
see what you're capturing but with no sound has the dialogue
box at the bottom that indiates "allocating disk space".

thanks, Paul