[MacDV] final cut express and external la cie drive

Tim Selander selander at tkf.att.ne.jp
Fri Mar 10 07:53:35 PST 2006

The disk has to be USB 2.0  I'm not using FCP, so I don't know if it's
too touchy for USB, but with Avid Xpress Pro, we have all (6 editors in
the company, all using Xpress Pro on PB800 G4 laptops)  switched to USB
2.0 drives, using USB PC cards, for capture and editing. We had too many
flaky problems with firewire. I think Charles M. of Promax (may he rest
in peace) was on to something when he did that research into FW
problems. We would lose whole disks of media to weird crashes. Nary a
problem since switching to USB a month or two ago. And USB 2.0 is
real-world faster than our FW 400 disks were -- guesstimate that
consolidates happen 20% faster on USB.

Tim Selander
Tokyo, Japan