[MacDV] downloading a tape into iMovie

Aaron macuser at aarons.fastmail.fm
Sun Mar 12 04:40:05 PST 2006

>From: Jeanette Brentnall <junglebooks01 at bigpond.com>
>Subject: Re: [MacDV] downloading a tape into iMovie
>Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2006 17:19:52 +1000
>To: "A place to discuss digital video on Macintosh." <macdv at listserver.themacintoshguy.com>
>
>Thank you very much Colin for your advice.  I am presently downloading
>the clips into iMovie, and am wondering how long a movie it will allow
>-- it is doing something it calls 'letterboxing' which I can now see
>means catching up with the clips so far entered.

Roughly speaking, 'letterboxing' is filling with black lines the space created when the aspect ratio (width divided by height) of the video being input is different from the aspect ratio of the video being displayed or saved. Most commonly, black lines are added top and bottom to a video with 16:9 aspect ratio to give it a 4:3 aspect ratio for display on ordinary TV's.

If my definition of the term needs refinement, somebody else on the list will, I hope, let us know!

 - Aaron