[MacDV] Converting a MPEG to a DVD

Michael Winter winter at mac.com
Tue May 2 09:00:57 PDT 2006

On May 1, 2006, at 9:56 PM, Ron Michael wrote:

> I've got a .mpg movie I want to convert to a DVD. All I know about
> it's internal components is that it says it's a .mpg. In other
> words, it could be anything. When I click on it with QuickTime it
> does nothing so I can't export it as a MPEG-2. No error message.
> Never opens. It will open using MPlayer OSX and looks fine but
> there's no save or export function with MPlayer. Any ideas on how
> to get this into a DVD format. I have Toast 7.0.

As someone else pointed out, try having Toast 7 do the conversion for
you. If that  doesn't work, and it won't import into iMovie or iDVD,
try MPEG Streamclip (also suggested by someone else). If that doesn't
work, I would try out ffmpegX (shareware, not real easy to install,
but easy to use). One nice thing is when you drag the video file into
the drop box, it will tell you exactly what audio and video streams
are in the file. It also has a quick preset for converting to DVD,
and will even package it up so all you have to do is burn it with Toast.

At the very least, I would try viewing it with VLC (free download)
and using Get Info to find out more about what type of video and
audio is in the file. MPlayer may do that too, but I'm not familiar
with using it directly.

-Mike