[MacDV] choosing a digital Camera

John Daschbach jldasch at mac.com
Fri May 26 17:39:30 PDT 2006

I find I have the same two masters with just myself.  The solution,
and it works very well, is two cameras.  I have a Nikon D70 (6MP)
(because I have Nikon SLRs and lenses I didn't need a lens, although
I will probably get the 18-200 VR when it is more readily available)
and a Cannon SD550 (7 MP).  I also have a SB600 flash for the D70.
After years of using a SB28 on 35mm cameras it's hard to go without
the big Nikon flash.  You can dial in fill on the flash or the camera
very easily, it recycles very fast, and it goes a long way.  The
SD550 is smaller than my very trusty Olympus XA (original clamshell
pocket 35 mm [Rollie had a great pocket camera, but the XA was the
first clamshell.  Both had great lenses.  I have seen the lens on the
XA (f 2.8) test better than the Zuiko 2.8 for OMs).  The SD550 has
very good handling, good shutter response (but not like the D70) and
both optical and LCD viewfinders.  If I'm not mistaken, the S4 is an
LCD only camera.  The LCD can be hard to use in bright light, but I
have had good experiences skiing with the SD550 using the optical
finder.

In film there may have been (and still is) a reasonable solution to
compact and high quality, but there is no zoom (Leica M4,5,6,P).

If you have to have one camera the high end Cannon point and shoot
cameras are good for some people.

I find dpphotoreview a good place to learn about cameras.

Hope this helps.

-John