[MacDV] NTSC switches to PAL

Aaron macuser at aarons.fastmail.fm
Fri Nov 17 17:40:49 PST 2006

Mark,

I'd be curious to know if you checked out my suspicion about your Toast Preferences. The way I describe it ("TV Standard" under the "General" tab of "Toast Preferences") is based on Toast Titanium 7.1.

Also, when I try to replicate what you did, except with a PAL video as source and with my "TV Standard" preference set to NTSC, I get a dialog box asking whether I "want to write a PAL disc or re-encode all content to NTSC?" So you're either using a different version of Toast or there's some other preference that I'm unaware of that pre-empts the choice.

 - Aaron

P.S. If Mark or anyone else reading this wants a screenshot of the preference settings and dialog box I'm referring to, just let me know!

>Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2006 03:44:29 -0800
>From: Aaron <macuser at aarons.fastmail.fm>
>
>>From: Mark Des Cotes <mark at astroprinting.com>
>>Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2006 08:27:48 -0500
>>
>>Hi all,
>>
>>My son has a presentation to make at school and needed a couple of
>>minutes of video from one of the TV shows he watches. I figured out
>>how to download the episode he needed. (I know it's not right but I'm
>>not about to purchase an entire season on DVD just to have two
>>minutes of video. And I've already checked Blockbuster and they don't
>>have it.) I thought the easiest thing was to just prepare a DVD-Video
>>disk in Roxio Toast, Add the video and crop it down to just the
>>couple of minutes he needs. That part was simple enough, but when
>>click to burn the disk a message pops up that it's changing the
>>format from NTSC to PAL and I don't have a choice in the matter.
>
>Perhaps you have "Toast Preferences -> General -> TV Standard" set to PAL.

[SNIP]