[MacDV] FCP- Importing Music Files

Dominion Market Research ross at dmrmail.com
Wed Oct 18 05:18:41 PDT 2006

Ian,

Sorry for the delayed response. I read this list at work, but have
iMovie and FCE on my home computer.

Last night I was able to import a purchased iTunes song into both
iMovie and FCE. iDVD was willing to burn a DVD from my iMovie with a
purchased song.

Here's a Apple document on use of iTunes music
<http://www.apple.com/legal/itunes/us/service.html> Perhaps there is
a perceived difference between iMovie aimed at the personal user and
FCE aimed at a more professional audience?

Ross Hunter
Orange, VA

>Thanks for your answer Ross.
>
>I note what you have written, but then why are there no problems
>when using iMovie ?
>
>When I drill down through the folders in FCP I get a list of artists
>from which I can import music, but what I want is a list of the
>songs in iTunes (as they appear in the iTunes Library).
>
>Ian T.
>On 16/10/2006, at 9:46 PM, Dominion Market Research wrote:
>
>>Ian,
>>
>>I believe the iTunes issue has to do with Copyright protection on
>>the music. You need to take extra steps such as what you've done or
>>burn the music to a CD and then import into FCP/E.
>>
>>Ross Hunter
>>Orange, VA
>>
>>>I am using the latest version of FCP on a 2.66 duo-core MacPro.
>>>
>>>When I try to import music into FCP from iTunes the iTunes library
>>>is greyed out and upon going to User>Music>iTunes>iTunes Music I
>>>end up with a list of artists rather than "songs".   I have been
>>>getting around this by dragging a copy of the music I require from
>>>the actual iTunes window to the Desktop and then importing the
>>>resultant file into FCP.
>>>
>>>Can someone give me a clue how to access the iTunes library from FCP please?
>>>

>>>My other problem is that when I go to do "dissolve", or "Iris"
>>>transitions in the timeline I end up with footage (artifacts?)
>>>from a completely unrelated clip appearing within part of the
>>>transition. I have tried closing down FCP and reopening it but the
>>>same thing still happens.   There is no sign of the unwanted
>>>footage between the two clips prior to attempting to do a
>>>transition.  I never had this problem in iMovie.
>>>
>>>Any clues please?
>>>
>>>Ian Tucker
>>>
>>>Listmom is trying to clean out his closets! Vintage Mac and random stuff:
>>>         http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZmacguy1984

>Listmom is trying to clean out his closets! Vintage Mac and random stuff:

Dominion Market Research-mailing services for Central Virginia
309 Madison Road
PO Box 791
Orange VA 22960-0464
USA
1-540-672-2327   1-800-328-2588   fax: 1-540-672-0296
http://www.dmrmail.com