[MacDV] FCP- Importing Music Files & Transitions containing Artifacts

Gordon Alley gordon.alley at gmail.com
Tue Oct 17 20:40:17 PDT 2006

You can use iTunes to convert an iTunes selection to AIFF.

First, make sure that the iTunes preference is set to Import using the
AIFF encoder (yeah, that's not a typo -- you want to set the IMPORT
preference). You get there by selecting
iTunes->Preferences...->Advanced->Importing->Import Using->AIFF
Encoder.

Then right-click (or CTRL-click) on the tune you want to convert, and
select Convert Selection to AIFF. It will creat an AIFF copy of the
selected file (you probably want to sort by Name so it will appear
nearby). Then you can drag a copy of the AIFF file to the desktop or
wherever.

After doing that, you might want to delete the AIFF duplicate from
your iTunes library. The files look the same in the list, but you can
use cmd-I (Get Info) to determine which is which.

Gordon

On 10/17/06, James Asherman <jimash at optonline.net> wrote:

> On Oct 17, 2006, at 8:20 PM, Shirley Kehr wrote:
> I don't know anything about FCP, so this is just a guess. How do you have
> your iTunes library sorted. If the artist column head is highlighted, try
> switching to the Song Name column and see if that makes a difference.
>
> Shirley
>

> On Oct 17, 2006, at 2:03 AM, carlian wrote:
>
> When I drill down through the folders in FCP I get a list of artists from
> which I can import music, but what I want is a list of the songs in iTunes
> (as they appear in the iTunes Library).
>

> Final Cut Pro does not interface with iLife applications. It has no iTunes
> support.
> IF you have to use songs that are in iTunes, drag them out of iTunes (right
> out of the list) into a folder on your desktop.
> Then you want to run each one through QuickTime Pro and make it AIFF 48K
> (assuming that is what you are doing your timeline as).
> If all of your iTunes are already 48k aiff you can skip the QT. (but usually
> they are not)
> Then import the folder with your newly converted tunes and throw away all
> other versions lying around.
> easier than it sounds.
> Jim

Gordon B. Alley