[MacDV] FCP and DVD Studio Pro

carlian carlian at picknowl.com.au
Tue Oct 31 03:22:41 PST 2006

I am using a dual core 2.66 Mac Pro with 3GB of RAM and the latest
versions of OSX and FC Studio.

I have been using FCP for a couple of years now, but am new to DVD SP.

My problem at the moment is I cannot burn a DVD as DVD SP halts as
soon as it gets to formatting the "Track" and the Log reports I am
using a too high VBR.

Using recommendations from the Mac DV list I have been exporting the
FCP project as a FCP Movie using "Current Settings", including "Audio
and Video" & "Chapter Markers" and Unchecking " Make Movie Self
Contained".   I have ensured all rendering had been completed prior
to exporting.

With DVD SP, and again using recommendations from the List, I have
been , in an effort to improve the quality of final encoding,
selecting 2 Pass VBR with a high bit rate of 7/8 mbps whilst setting
"Best" for "Motion" .

  I have tried putting the DVD SP preferences back to "Factory
Default" and in fact reducing the VBR down to 2 mbps and the
Application is still spitting the dummy as soon as it starts on
encoding the actual movie track.

This afternoon I took the FCP QT movie into iDVD (latest version),
and it spat the disc out right at the end whilst the "Burn" wheel was
still rotating.

I have been trying to sort this out for the last 4 days and feel like
I am starting to go up a wattle.  Tonight I trashed both iDVD and DVD
SP plists a, but no joy there.

Any help from Listers would be much appreciated.

Ian Tucker, Adelaide.