[MacDV] No firewire port in the new HDR HD camcorder HDR-SR1 from Sony!

Nick Scalise nickscalise at cox.net
Sat Sep 23 09:25:47 PDT 2006

On Sep 23, 2006, at 11:13 AM, osxlists wrote:

> Looks like to trend to leave firewire in the dust has been taken to
> a new step when the new HDR-SR1 camcorder from Sony has only USB3
> port!
> It's crazy. I don't get it. What do you think?
> Has Sony gone mad? USB can stand HD better now for some mysterious
> reasons.
> Or is that the tape required firewire and that requirement is going
> to be obsolete now with hard disk recording?

There are still tape HiDef cameras that use firewire. I think the
trend for Cam Mfr's to use harddrives is a nod to folks who do not
want to edit video. The same idea as going direct to DVD.

At least on HardDrive cameras, you should be able to just copy the
files out to your computer harddrive over USB 2. You do not need to
do any 'capturing' as it already is captured to the Cam harddrive. I
don't think this can be done on DVD cams (HD or not).

However, I think it's still to soon to know how this will shake out
for editing these files on a Mac.

Just vote with your dollars and only buy tape cameras. Or at least
verify with a camera in-store that you can indeed import the files
over USB and edit them inside of FC Pro/iMovie before buying.

--
Nick Scalise
nickscalise at cox.net