[MacDV] No firewire port in the new HDR HD camcorder HDR-SR1 from Sony!

osxlists osxlists at free.fr
Sat Sep 23 10:27:44 PDT 2006

On Sep 23, 2006, at 18:25, Nick Scalise wrote:

> There are still tape HiDef cameras that use firewire. I think the
> trend for Cam Mfr's to use harddrives is a nod to folks who do not
> want to edit video. The same idea as going direct to DVD.

ALL HD tape corders use firewire: they could not do without.
I personnally WANT a hard disk camcorder. To record more than one hour
in one step (concerts, etc.). And not to wait one hour to get the
recording on my Mac. And then I CAN edit (so I don't think it's a trend
for folks not wanting to edit).
The hard disk is more convenient and secure. The tape will disappear
like audio.

> At least on HardDrive cameras, you should be able to just copy the
> files out to your computer harddrive over USB 2. You do not need to do
> any 'capturing' as it already is captured to the Cam harddrive. I
> don't think this can be done on DVD cams (HD or not).

My concern is what Apple will do: they won't accept the demise of
firewire and we, users, will have apps (at least for some time) unable
to directly see the video (unless we 'open' from the menu…)

> However, I think it's still to soon to know how this will shake out
> for editing these files on a Mac.

It depends of Apple reaction…

mc