[MacDV] No firewire port in the new HDR HD camcorder HDR-SR1 from Sony!

Colt Freeman cfreeman at liberty.edu
Sat Sep 23 19:46:09 PDT 2006

> ALL HD tape corders use firewire: they could not do without.
> I personnally WANT a hard disk camcorder. To record more than one hour
> in one step (concerts, etc.). And not to wait one hour to get the
> recording on my Mac. And then I CAN edit (so I don't think it's a trend
> for folks not wanting to edit).
> The hard disk is more convenient and secure. The tape will disappear
> like audio.
It definitely is more convenient, but how do you mean more secure? Are you
worried about someone opening your tape deck and stealing the tape?

Digitizing is the worst part of editing and filming, for sure; that's why
everyone (including myself) wants cheaper and more durable HD solutions, but
not at the cost of tape backup at the same time. Not to mention it's
archival usage, much longer than any other medium. If the camera or tape
gets dropped, the tape would survive, if there are any high frequency
vibrations the tape would also survive (not all the time, but more likely
since nothing is spinning that fast).

Basically I'm saying this, let me record to tape AND HD at the same time and
I will be happy. As will many others that can't afford to re-shoot something
simply because the HD crashed or became unreadable. Or better yet come up
with large CF drives, no moving parts.

Regards,
-Colt Freeman

www.coltfreeman.com
Contagious Ideal Productions
Liberty: University Relations Campus Photographer
Champion Photography Editor
(919) 441-6401