[MacDV] No firewire port in the new HDR HD camcorder HDR-SR1 from Sony!

Colt Freeman cfreeman at liberty.edu
Sat Sep 23 19:40:52 PDT 2006

> I agree with you.
> But it seems that most (all?) HDR camcorders have only USB ports.
> See all JVC and Panasonic and also Sony DCR-SR 90.
>
> And also HD is important of you want to record more than one hour!
> What kind of problem do you espect?

Well I expect it to have the same sort of problems that today's internal
hard drives have. Or the venerable Microdrives. You have platters spinning
(7200rmp to keep up) they don't like to be jostled, submitted to anything
magnetic, or dropped. They also will drop frames if something isn't working
100% properly.

Tapes just plain work, I liked the idea of HD just as much as the rest of
you, I'm just not willing to put 100% trust in them. I really don't mind
switching tapes out, there are very few times when it's critical to have
uninterrupted recording. Multi-Camera setups cure that problem, and are
amazingly beneficial for other reasons as well.

Regards,
-Colt Freeman

www.coltfreeman.com
Contagious Ideal Productions
Liberty: University Relations Campus Photographer
Champion Photography Editor
(919) 441-6401