[MacDV] No firewire port in the new HDR HD camcorder HDR-SR1 from Sony!

osxlists osxlists at free.fr
Sat Sep 23 21:13:44 PDT 2006

On Sep 24, 2006, at 4:40, Colt Freeman wrote:

> Well I expect it to have the same sort of problems that today's
> internal
> hard drives have. Or the venerable Microdrives. You have platters
> spinning
> (7200rmp to keep up) they don't like to be jostled, submitted to
> anything
> magnetic, or dropped. They also will drop frames if something isn't
> working
> 100% properly.

I see. But today's hard disks are more secure. Your opinion is based on
old technologies.
You probably know that if you drop a MacBook(Pro), the hd stops working
and heads go to sleep instantly.
I never had problem with recent hard disks.
But I DO know we have to trat them with care.
For an exemple not use a notebook in a car when the car is movin'
(you're not the driver of course!) because it's not good for the heads
when (and it always happens) the car is shaken in a difficult bend.
What about filmin' in a car? Probably the same…
But then I'm very careful even for tapes, even for books. I always
treat things with respect: my books and  my records could be sold for
new 20 years after I bought them…
So I'm not afraid by hard disks in cams…

> Tapes just plain work, I liked the idea of HD just as much as the rest
> of
> you, I'm just not willing to put 100% trust in them. I really don't
> mind
> switching tapes out, there are very few times when it's critical to
> have
> uninterrupted recording. Multi-Camera setups cure that problem, and are
> amazingly beneficial for other reasons as well.

That's true for analog tapes. If you choose the right brand of course
(I'm personally sold to TDK for all my tapes, cds and dvds). But
digital tapes are more prone to loose datas. Cosmic rays are damagin'
all magnetic recordings. I've seen that on Sony's disquettes (the best
brand for disquettes 15/20 years ago) that I tought completely secure.
And when a digital media is damaged the content can be much more
damaged than an analog recording that looses only a second or two: a
lot more can  be completely unreadable.
For multi cameras you're right of course but I'm not rich enough to buy
two HD camcorders at the same time!

For tapes: they take physical space and collect dust!

mc